A career strategy is a structured approach to developing an organisation’s culture, capabilities and resources, enabling people to successfully navigate their career journey, and the organisation to build capability and ability to change. An organisation’s approach to career is critical to its success.
As organisations seek to be agile and respond to market conditions, the best recognise that successful change depends on establishing the right ‘career deal’ with each segment of the workforce. Developing an inclusive approach to talent development, underpinned by a focus on individual career journeys, helps organisations become an employer of choice.
In today’s career landscape, career is increasingly about movement and progress gained from pivotal experiences that bring growth, challenge, or change. Progression can be felt without vertical promotion or even changing roles. Career strategy recognises a move from career ladders to career lattices, with a shift in career expectation that prepares people for the 21st century workplace.
An effective career strategy builds an agile and engaged workforce. Focusing on careers will:
- Improve Resourcing by attracting talent, underpinning internal mobility and enabling flexible working
- Grow Capability by increasing people’s motivation to learn, and by supporting on-the-job learning
- Inspire Performance by equipping managers with the skills to engage and develop people
- Support Change by giving people confidence to alter their work
Our approach to career strategy is based on a career partnership approach, recognising that both the individual and the organisation seek benefit from the partnership. Articulating what career means in an organisation is critical.
Our model shows five organisational activity areas (usually owned and operated by HR) which impact on career and need to be addressed in an organisational career strategy.
How can we support your Career Strategy?
Career Innovation can be your partner to:
- Develop and implement your 21st Century Career Strategy by building the business case, aligning your career strategy with business priorities and desired outcomes
- Conduct internal insight research to inform the strategy
- Engage with all key stakeholders to create and embed the career strategy
- Agree the overall beliefs and philosophy that underpin the desired career deal or proposition
- Consult with functional heads to create career frameworks and potential career moves based on Experience Maps
- Create overall cascade briefings and communications to embed the strategy
- Design and deliver coaching workshops/webinars to equip leaders to support career and development conversations
- Provide a dedicated Career Portal (CiZone) for all employees to increase pro-active career learning and develop the skills to ‘future proof’ their careers
- Design and deliver blended career development solutions for employees: face to face workshops, on-line Be Bold in your Career course